The City of Los Angeles enacted the Los Angeles Fair Change Initiative for Hiring (LAFCIH). The Ban The Box law will go into effect on January 22, 2017, with non compliant employers subject to fines effective July 1, 2017.
The LAFCIH prohibits criminal history inquiries in an employment application.
CMS expects the Ban The Box trend to be expanded to more states in the coming years. iRecruit customers based in, or hiring in the Los Angeles area, can remove this question from their employment application(s), by following these steps:
- From the iRecruit Menu, go to Manage Application Forms.
- Click on the Edit (Pencil Icon) for the application you want to edit.
- From the section dropdown menu, select the “Availability for Work” section. (Or section that question is located in).
- Uncheck the boxes for the following two questions (if question is required, uncheck the required box also):
- Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense (felony or serious misdemeanor)?
- If yes, state nature of the crime(s), when and where convicted, and disposition of the case.
- Click on Save Changes.
Continue Reading: Los Angeles Passes Rigid “Ban the Box” Law